BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

"You're not going back!?"

Another new development that took place over Christmas break was the fact that I decided to not return to CBU for the spring semester. After much prayer and consideration, I deemed it best to not go back to college, at least for now. Although I have learned and grown a lot during my time at CBU and have enjoyed being there, I feel that God is now calling me back home. I know that God has a plan for me and my life and I know He will reveal it to me in His good and perfect timing. I look forward to my new adventure, here at home, as a stay at home daughter. I look forward to watching God unfold His plan for me as well. However.....there are many people who disagree with my decision....and find it insensible and overall, not a good plan at all. These people seem to find that college is the only way. They may readily agree that college isn't for everybody, but as a blogger that my mother follows states, what they really mean when they say that is that : "There are people who are only good enough for menial labor. They, of course, wouldn't benefit from a college education and are too poor to afford it anyway." This woman continues to state that such an outlook on college is pure snobbery. "There are bright, hard working, intelligent, intellectually stimulating people who don't belong in college, either, if what they want to do in life can be done without a degree, if the college education available to them is going to put them in debt for 20 grand but the job they want to get with that won't pay well enough, or the field is saturated to the point that it will make it hard to find a job that can pay the bills with college loans tacked on, or if the 'education' at that college will really only substitute an indoctrination for an education." I would highly recommend reading her 2 posts on college.
http://heartkeepercommonroom.blogspot.com/2012/01/college-counting-cost-continued.html
However, I digress. As I was saying, many people seem to find my decision as, well, stupid. I am so tired of having people come up to me and basically ask me while I"m still around in town, and, once I reply that I'm home for good, as of right now, and am not returning to college, for a while at least, look shocked and horrified. "You're not going back!? Oh no! Why?!" It's as if I am in a distressed, distraught, awful predicament, because I'm not returning. I want to be home. I feel that GOD want's me to be home right now. And there is nothing wrong with not going to college! I did not decide to stay home and be a stay-at-home-daughter just because I was homesick. I did not make this decision because the classes were too difficult. I did not make this decision because I'm lazy or stupid. On the contrary, although I did miss my family, I loved the people around me at CBU and being there; I found the classes easy and really not that hard or challenging at all, and I got A's and B's in all my classes for the 3 semesters I was at CBU. I am not trying to brag, simply explaining that I am home now because I believe that the Lord called me home. I know people mean well, but I am so frustrated with this culture that finds college so important and necessary in life. This culture thinks that college is necessary for success in life. First of all, we aren't called, as Christians, to be successful. I just want to state that right away. We are called to glorify God. In fact, we are told in the Bible that, more likely than not, we will NOT be successful in this world, by the world's standards. College will equip me for a successful career. And for those who have a career in mind that they wish to go after and pursue, college is great for them and their goals. However, I am not interested in specific 'career'. I have nothing against college and loved my time at CBU. I don't find it wrong, in general, to attend college. That is between individuals and God. However, I hope, Lord willing, to be a wife and mother someday. How will college equip me to be a better wife and mother? How will college do the job of equipping me for wife and mother hood better than the home? What better place for me to grow than in the home? As another blogger that I came across states, "I am learning the things that will prepare me for marriage.(Lord willing) How many girls know how to pay bills, do their taxes, balance a checkbook, run a home or even just cook dinner while juggling laundry and everything else along with it?! But one of the things I love most is knowing the memories I am making with my family now, will be treasured for the rest if my life. Living in my father’s home is one of the safest and most protected feelings I could ever have. I would challenge every girl to consider staying at home instead of going the typical college route. Is being a stay at home daughter for everyone? No, I have no right to say you are wrong by going to college. That is between you, God and your parents. I will be the first to tell you that it’s not easy to live at home with your family after high school. But it will grow you in ways you never would have imagined. No one wants to be the odd man out (or woman) and believe me you will stick out like a sore thumb but it’s worth it. Every bad day and mean comment you get won’t compare to the joy and happiness you will find in embracing God’s best for your life.......College is a great option for some people but I don’t think God calls everyone to go and I don’t believe that is an inferior calling if He does not lead a person to further their learning in this way." Even if I don't get married, what I learn at home can carry over into my future life. Not only that, but I am ministering to my family, living here at home, helping them out. My baby brother repeatedly tells me he's glad I"m home. He makes me wrestle with him all the time and I do believe it is his intent to turn me into a full time wrestler. Eventually, I hope to go back to school near home. I hope to eventually take classes to become a Home Health Aide. I am sorry that people are disappointed in me and my decision to leave CBU, although I'm not sorry that I'm not returning. I'm sorry that this culture puts such an emphisis on college and college education. I am sorry people find other ways of education as unworthy and disgraceful. I am also sorry that people feel the need to show their feelings about college and education to me, when they hear that I am staying home. But I am very thankful and grateful for my God and for His guidance and love. Even when His plans don't' make sense to those around me, or even to me, they are still the best and smartest plans. All glory be to God.

6 comments:

Ann Taylor said...

Cara, my parents and other family members (one who had helped fund my first two years) were distressed and deeply disappointed when I dropped out of college to work for six months because I felt a deep desire to travel in Europe and see some of the world. As it turned out, the year I spent cut off from my family and out of school changed the course of my life in a huge way. Working full time in a variety of jobs changed my perception of the world and my place in it (fast food, waitress, peach cannery--no supplemental income and no encouragement from parents). It changed my perception of money and it's relation to freedom from dependency. I worked every kind of shift and long hours for less than minimum wage most of the time, but I did make enough to travel (and work) for six months in Europe. I met great people in my work and travels, and I learned a lot about what makes me happy, encouraged and motivated. Also, I met my future husband after I came home, because he was planning to travel and asked a friend of his to introduce us. When I returned, I changed my major (twice) and went from C's and B's to straight A's. I had to pay for college completely on my own after that, so it took me a long time to finish, but it was worth it. My path and direction changed from time to time, but ... God used my time away from school in a powerful way to redirect and enrich my entire life. Never say never, Cara. There is no telling what God has in store for you, but we know that his will is only to continue to bless you and make you a blessing! As others have continued to pray for me, I will always to pray for you. May God continue protect and keep you, to shine his face upon you -- and to give you joy.

Cara said...

Thanks, Ann! :)

Unknown said...

type toooooo long

Unknown said...

so pretty

Unknown said...

woww very nice

Martins said...

Woww